Tuesday, May 27, 2008

CLC Climate Change Policy Document

The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) is meeting this week in Toronto.

Here's their policy statement "Climate Change and Green Jobs: Labour’s Challenges and Opportunities".

I'll have a few comments after I've read it in detail. For now, the only thing I would say is that if the labour movement is going to play a leadership role, there should be something in the policy about unions reducing their own carbon footprints. It may not be a big part of the overall problem in Canada, but you can only lead by example - not just by telling others what they should be doing.

(Aside: I was an elected CLC delegate from Region 5 but due to a dispute between NUPGE & the CLC, OPSEU is not attending this year's convention which actually does reduce our carbon footprint but leaves us out of loop. )

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites All-Blogs.net directory Add to Bloglines Who links to me?