Monday, February 23, 2009

Winterlude in Ottawa

I took a break and went to Ottawa with a friend for the weekend. It was my first experience attending the Winterlude festival. We had a great time. While I will admit to driving there, the car was parked pretty much most of the time. 

Skating was one theme of the weekend. We skated 6 kilometres on the Rideau Canal one day and then on the rink at Rideau Hall the next (which can be booked for events). 

Rideau Hall rink all to ourselves

After the skate, we took the tour of Rideau Hall and who should we meet on her way out the door but G-G, Her Excellency, MichaĆ«lle Jean who stopped briefly to give us a warm hello in the Reception Room. 

Did a lot of walking around - the Central Block Parliament Building, Chateau Richelieu lobby, National Art Gallery and Byward Market. Saw a fantastic light & sound show followed by a show by Canadian R&B great Jully Black. The ice sculptures were like none I had ever seen before. 

Cinderella's pumpkin carriage pulled by 4 ice horses

Power plant made from plastic water bottles at the centre of the ice sculptures. 

The closest I got to a Blackberry all weekend. (Just kidding, actually, I don't have a cell phone)

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites All-Blogs.net directory Add to Bloglines Who links to me?